Vegetable Moussaka – Per serving: 135 calories (9% calories from fat), 1 g. total fat ( 0 saturated fat), 5 g protein, 28 g carbohydrates, 5 g dietary fiber, 1 mg cholesterol, 70 mg sodium, 460 mg potassium
- olive oil cooking spray
- 1 large eggplant, cut into 1/4 inch thick rounds
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon slivered almonds
- 1 28-ounce ( 411 g) can no-salt-added crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup (28 g) currants
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 cup (12 g) packed chopped fresh mint
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- freshly ground pepper
- 2 1/2 cups (537.5 g) cooked brown rice
- Yogurt Sauce
- 1 cup (228 g) plain nonfat yogurt
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 1/8 teaspoon salt (optional)
- freshly grated pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly coat a large nonstick baking sheet with cooking spray. Place the eggplant slices on the sheet and lightly coat with more cooking spray. Bake for 20 minutes, turning once.
- While the eggplant is baking, coat a large nonstick saucepan with cooking spray. Add the onion and almond; sauté for 3 minutes until onion is soft. Add the tomato, currants, cinnamon, cumin, mint and lemon juice. Simmer for 5 minutes. Season with pepper and stir in rice. Set aside.
- Prepare the sauce by combining the yogurt, mint, salt (if using), pepper, and lemon zest. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Line the bottom and sides of a 9-inch square baking dish with half of the eggplant slices. Fill with the tomato-rice mixture. Top with the remaining eggplant slices. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 1 hour on a baking sheet to protect your oven from spills. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 15 minutes. To serve, cut into squares and top with a dollop of yogurt sauce.
Diabetic exchanges: 1 1/2 carbohydrate (bread/starch)
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 1||1.5%|
|Saturated Fat 0||0|
|Total Carbohydrate 28||9.3%|
|Dietary Fiber 5||20%|
|Vitamin A||Vitamin C|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Diabetic Dinner Recipes