Skillet Pizza – Per serving: 328 calories (26% calories from fat), 27 g protein, 10 g total fat (3.8 g saturated fat), 34 g carbohydrates, 4 g dietary fiber, 54 mg cholesterol, 236 mg sodium, 806 mg potassium
- Pizza Sauce
- 1/2 pound (240 g) ground turkey
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 28-ounce (840 g) can no-salt-added whole tomatoes, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- Pizza crust:
- 4 ounces (120 g) dried capellini or angel hair pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced into rings
- 4 ounces (120 g) fresh mushrooms, cleaned and thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup (84 g) part-skim shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- To make the sauce: In a large nonstick skillet, cook the ground turkey over medium heat, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, for 5 minutes. Drain off any fat. Add the garlic and scallion, and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes, breaking them up with the back of the spoon. Stir in the herbs, red pepper flakes, salt (if using), and sugar. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes, until slightly thickened.
- Then, cook the pasta following the package instructions. Drain well.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C, Gas Mark 4).
- In a 10-inch (25 cm) nonstick, ovenproof skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the bell pepper and mushrooms, and sauté until slightly softened, about 3 minutes. Transfer the vegetables to a plate.
- In the same skillet, evenly distribute the cooked pasta, pressing down with the back of a spoon. Cover and cook over medium-low heat until pasta forms a crust, about 15 minutes.
- To turn the crust over, place a nonstick baking sheet over the skillet and invert the crust onto it. Slide the crust back into the skillet and bake in the oven, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Evenly spread the sauce over the pasta crust and arrange bell pepper rings and mushrooms on top. Sprinkle with the mozzarella cheese and finally, the Parmesan. Bake for 5 minutes more, until cheese melts. Cut into wedges to serve.
Diabetic exchanges: 3 lean protein, 2 1/2 carbohydrate (1 1/2 bread/starch, 2 vegetable)
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 10||15.4%|
|Saturated Fat 3.8||19%|
|Total Carbohydrate 34||11.3%|
|Dietary Fiber 4||16%|
|Vitamin A||Vitamin C|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Diabetic Dinner Recipes