At this time of the year, local growers bring just picked vegetables to farmers’ markets and your friends drop off excess crops from their gardens. The problem is how to use this crop to make something that does them proud. This recipe fits the bill. We add a frozen light dessert and you are ready at 6:00 after cooking in the cool of the morning.
- olive oil cooking spray
- 3/4 pound (360 g) eggplant, cut into 3/4-inch dice
- 1/2 pound (240 g) zucchini, cut into 3/4-inch dice
- 6 ounces (180 g) red onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red pepper, 8 ounces (480 g), sliced thin
- 3 Roma tomatoes, about 1 pound (480 g), seeded and chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons (22.5 ml) balsamic vinegar
- 8 ounces (240 g) penne rigate pasta
- 1/2 cup (100 g) low fat ricotta cheese
- 1/3 cup (22 g) fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons (18 g) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to broil.
- Line a jelly roll pan with aluminum foil. Coat with cooking spray. Place the eggplant and zucchini cubes on the foil and coat with cooking spray. Broil, turning until the vegetables are browned and cooked through. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Coat a nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Sauté the onion and garlic until wilted. Add the red pepper and tomatoes and cook for another 5 minutes. Stir in the vinegar and set aside. Stir in the eggplant and zucchini.
- Cook the pasta as per package directions until cooked al dente. Drain under cold water and place in a large bowl. Toss with the vegetables. Stir in the ricotta and basil. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese before serving.
Diabetic exchanges: 4 1/2 carbohydrate (3 bread/starch, 4 vegetable)
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 4||6.2%|
|Saturated Fat 1.6||8%|
|Total Carbohydrate 65||21.7%|
|Dietary Fiber 8||32%|
|Vitamin A||Vitamin C|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Diabetic Dinner Recipes