Add more vegetables if you like. In the past we have diced zucchini or added spinach. Just add the carbohydrate exchanges if you use them. The results will disappear before your eyes. We serve this with a salad which we make with greens and grapes. It just sings.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 6 ounces mushrooms, diced
- 10 ounces ground sirloin
- 1 28-ounce can low-salt crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 8 ounces penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup reduced fat grated mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick sauté pan. Add the shallot, garlic, pepper and mushrooms, and sauté until they begin to soften. Include the hamburger and separate as you cook until the meat is carmelized. Add the tomatoes and basil. Simmer while the pasta cooks.
- Cook the penne pasta as per package directions. Drain and return to the pot. Toss with the beef sauce.
- Spot one portion of the pasta in the base of a casserole. Top with 1/2 of the parmesan. Top with remaining pasta. Sprinkle with mozzarella and the remaining Parmesan.
- Bake for around 20 minutes or until the cheddar tans and the casserole bubbles.
Diabetic exchanges: 1 lean meat, 1 very lean meat/protein, 1 vegetable), 1 fat, 3 carbohydrate (2 bread/starch
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 7||10.8%|
|Saturated Fat 3.0||15%|
|Total Carbohydrate 38||12.7%|
|Dietary Fiber 3||12%|
|Vitamin A||Vitamin C|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Diabetic Dinner Recipes