Parvine’s Chicken Soup – Per serving: 303 calories (20% calories from fat), 29 g protein, 6 g total fat (1.5 g saturated fat), 31 g carbohydrates, 3 g dietary fiber, 94 mg cholesterol, 141 mg sodium, 635 mg potassium
- 10 chicken thighs, about 3 1/2 pounds (1680 g) total
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound (480 g) onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 28-ounce (840 g) can no-salt-added canned whole tomatoes
- 4 cups (960 ml) low-fat, low-sodium canned chicken broth
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon dried crushed mixed Italian herbs
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- garlic powder, to taste
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 bay leaves
- salt, to taste (optional)
- 1/2 pound 240 g) small pasta such as corkscrews, shells, etc.
- Clean chicken thighs, removing and discarding all skin and visible fat, leaving the bones.
- Heat oil in a large soup pot. Add onion and cook over low heat for 3 minutes. Arrange the chicken thighs on top and cover with tomatoes and their juice, the broth, lemon juice, herbs, paprika, garlic powder, pepper, and bay leaves. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer until chicken is cooked and falling off the bone, about 1 hour.
- Taste and add salt (if using) to taste. Add the pasta and continue to cook until pasta is tender, about 15 minutes.
- To serve, ladle into soup plates.
Diabetic exchanges: 3 lean protein, 2 carbohydrate (1 1/2 bread/starch, 2 vegetable)
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 6||9.2%|
|Saturated Fat 1.5||7.5%|
|Total Carbohydrate 31||10.3%|
|Dietary Fiber 3||12%|
|Vitamin A||Vitamin C|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Diabetic Dinner Recipes