Parvine’s Beef Stew – Per serving: 291 calories (20% calories from fat), 30 g protein, 7 g total fat (2.0 g saturated fat), 31 g carbohydrates, 7 g dietary fiber, 69 mg cholesterol, 90 mg sodium, 1471 mg potassium
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound (480 g) onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 1/2 pounds (1200 g) boneless top sirloin, trimmed of all fat and cubed
- 2 pounds (960 g) red potatoes, scrubbed and cut into small chunks
- 1 1/2 pounds (720 g) fresh green beans, trimmed
- 2 28-ounce (840 g) cans no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1 cup (240 ml) low-sodium canned beef broth
- 1 heaping teaspoon crushed dried mixed Italian herbs
- 1 heaping teaspoon crushed dried basil
- garlic powder, to taste
- salt, to taste (optional)
- freshly ground pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil and add the onion. Cook over low heat for 3 minutes. Add the beef. Stir and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the potato, green beans, tomatoes with their juice, beef broth, herbs, garlic powder, salt (if using) and pepper. Generously sprinkle with the paprika and add the bay leaves.
- Cover and simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, until meat and vegetables are tender. If desired, thin with additional beef broth or water during the last 15 minutes of cooking time.
- Ladle into shallow soup plates and serve.
Diabetic exchanges: 3 lean protein, 2 carbohydrate (1 bread/starch, 3 vegetable)
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 7||10.8%|
|Saturated Fat 2.0||10%|
|Total Carbohydrate 31||10.3%|
|Dietary Fiber 7||28%|
|Vitamin A||Vitamin C|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Diabetic Dinner Recipes