Middle Eastern Fish Casserole – Per serving: 281 calories (26% calories from fat), 28 g protein, 8 g total fat (1.1 saturated fat), 26 g carbohydrates, 6 g dietary fiber, 36 mg cholesterol, 101 mg sodium, 1276 mg potassium
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced into thin rings
- 1 carrot, scraped and sliced thin
- 1/2 green bell pepper, seeded and sliced into thin rings
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced into thin slices
- 1 pound (480 g) tomatoes, peeled, seeded and sliced
- 1/2 cup (78 g) frozen petit peas
- 1 cup (159 g) fresh green beans, sliced into 1 inch (2.5 cm) pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- pinch sugar substitute
- 2 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 large potato, parboiled or microwaved until 3/4 done, peeled and sliced very thin
- 1 pound (480 g) thick fish fillets such as halibut
- 1 lemon, sliced
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C, Gas Mark 6).
- In a large skillet heat 1 teaspoon of the olive oil and sauté the onion, carrot, and pepper rings for about 8 minutes until the onion is wilted. Add the tomato and sauté another 3 minutes. Stir in the peas and beans. Continue to sauté for 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in salt (if using), pepper, bay leaf, allspice, sugar substitute, and parsley.
- Spread the vegetables in the bottom of an oven proof casserole. Place the potatoes slices among the vegetables. Arrange the fish fillets on top and season with pepper. Top each fillet with a slice of lemon. and drizzle each with some of the remaining olive oil. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil and continue to bake another 20 minutes. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Diabetic exchanges: 3 very lean protein, 1 1/2 carbohydrate (1/2 bread/starch, 3 vegetable)
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 8||12.3%|
|Saturated Fat 1.1||5.5%|
|Total Carbohydrate 26||8.7%|
|Dietary Fiber 6||24%|
|Vitamin A||Vitamin C|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Diabetic Dinner Recipes