Basic Sauce – Per portion: 102 calories (23% calories from fat), 12 g protein, 3 g total fat (0.9 g saturated fat), 8 g carbohydrates, 2 g dietary fiber, 27 mg cholesterol, 138 mg sodium, 261 mg potassium
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 small carrot, peeled and chopped fine
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/3 pounds (540 g) ground sirloin
- 1 14 1/2-ounce (411 g) can no salt added tomatoes with juice
- 1 28-ounce (798 g) can crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup (60ml) dry red wine
- In a large heavy saucepan, heat the oil and then sauté the onion, carrot and garlic until they begin to wilt. Stir in the beef and stir until browned, using a wooden spoon to break it up. Stir in the tomatoes and the crushed tomatoes along with the wine. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Put 1/2 of the sauce into the refrigerator for your second meal.
Diabetic exchanges: 1 1/2 lean protein, 1/2 carbohydrate (2 vegetable)
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 3||4.6%|
|Saturated Fat 0.9||4.5%|
|Total Carbohydrate 8||2.7%|
|Dietary Fiber 2||8%|
|Vitamin A||Vitamin C|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Diabetic Dinner Recipes